Strategy: Greeting Students at the Door
- This teacher greets every student as they come in the door in the morning.
- Notice how the teacher states each student’s name.
- Notice that students choose how they want to be greeted by receiving a hug or high five. This allows all the students to feel comfortable with the greeting.
- What did you like about how this teacher greeted each student as they arrived?
- How might you go about greeting each student?
- What do you think the benefits are to greeting students every day?
- This teacher discusses the struggle between getting through academic work and building relationships.
- She reflects on how building relationships can actually save time later on.
- How important is relationship building to you when working with your students?
- What are some ideas for what you can do in your classroom to build positive relationships with even the students who are hardest to reach?
References to Other Relevant Resources:
Allday, R. A., & Pakurar, K. (2007). Effects of teacher greetings on student on-task behavior. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 40(2), 317-320.
Patterson, S. T. (2009). The effects of teacher-student small talk on out-of-seat behavior. Education and Treatment of Children, 32(1), 167-174.